Practice Improvement Program
CRC Screening Program*Proceed to the Colorectal Cancer (CRC) Screening Program*
COPD ProgramProceed to the COPD Program
*The CRC Screening Program is also approved for Part IV Maintenance of Certification.
The Practice Improvement Program, an online professional development tool, is designed to be user-friendly and interactive, and provides Continuing Medical Education Credits on a variety of clinical topics. Each topic is presented in its own module. You may complete any or all of these modules at your convenience. A module does not need to be completed in one seating. You will receive 20 hours of American Academy of Family Physicians (AAFP) Performance Improvement credits for each module you complete. More information is available before you start each module.
NJAFP is committed to providing physicians with professional development resources relevant to the needs and interests of the family physician community and to supporting your ongoing efforts to deliver the highest level of care. Professional development is key to ensuring you have the latest information regarding technology, treatment methods, and implementation of quality improvement (QI) processes.
The development and implementation of QI processes are integral components of the Practice Improvement Program. You will learn about tools that can assist you with incorporating QI initiatives into your practice, which can impact patient care and outcomes. You will identify areas of practice strength and opportunities for improvement through the collection of patient and practice data, develop a QI plan, implement interventions, and complete a post-assessment process to determine if improvement was achieved.
The following is a brief description of each step in the Practice Improvement Program.
- Patient data collection: You will be instructed on how to select charts to use for data collection. You will then learn how to enter pre-assessment patient data by answering a series of questions designed to capture information specific to the evidence-based performance measures
- Practice assessment: In this section, you will be asked to answer questions that provide insight into your practice's delivery, decision support, and clinical information systems.
- Interpretation of results: Once you have completed entering the required data, results for each measure (i.e., baseline data) will be displayed. This information will guide you in selecting interventions directed at improving care processes in your practice.
- Selection of a Quality Improvement Plan (QIP): In this section, you will be provided with QIPs that can assist you in improving areas of your practice. The QIPs will provide suggested QI goals, changes to implement, steps to make the change, and ways to measure progress.
- Implementation of your QIP: You will use your QIP for a three-month period, after which you will come back to this module and enter post-assessment data.
- Patient data collection: You will enter post-assessment patient data by answering a series of questions designed to capture information specific to the evidence-based performance measures.
- Practice assessment: This step will include the same series of questions from the pre-assessment phase, designed to provide insight into your practice's delivery, decision support, and clinical information systems.
- Interpretation of results and evaluation of the QIP: You will be given your pre- and post-assessment measurement results, as well as information about the effectiveness of the interventions and processes you implemented as part of your QIP.
Please send all PIP related feedback using this contact form.